Friday, July 30, 2010

The mystery of filet mignon

Why is filet mignon such a big seller?  It's not that it is bad, it just isn't great.  Filet mignon has very little fat and remember fat equals flavor. Remember that line in Pulp Fiction?  "Pork chops taste good, bacon tastes good."  It is because of the fat in pork.  Filet mignon has much less flavor compared to other cuts of meat.  It is tender, I will give you that, but I have to laugh at the fact that the most expensive cut of meat is also one of the most flavorless on the animal.

We chefs are back there cooking in the kitchen and see order after order come up for filet mignon when people could be ordering rib eye or N.Y. strip.  It is almost like a kind of inside joke we have amongst us.  I always shake my head when I see orders for filet mignon.

I don't know one chef who orders that shit when he or she goes out to eat.  Not one.

Would you non-chefs like a tip?  Next time you want to cook steak, buy a flank steak.  I know it doesn't sounds as sexy but you will spend about a quarter of the cost and will end up with a much more flavorful cut of meat.  You must make sure you cut it in thin slices perpendicular to the grain or it will be chewy as hell.
One of my favorite steak recipes.
Take a couple cloves of garlic and 2 shallots.  Mince them.
Take a sprig of rosemary and chop it fine.
Rub a piece of flank steak with olive oil and coat both sides with the chopped herb, shallots and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
Grill it on high to get a nice charred texture (not burnt) but keeping it medium rare
Serve with some guacamole or salsa
It kicks MAJOR culinary ass.  I will be my friend's salary you will like it better.

Try it

No comments:

Post a Comment